Culligan HF-150A 3/4-Inch Whole House Sediment Water Filter Save 23% Off

Culligan HF-150A 3/4-Inch Whole House Sediment Water Filter
  • Extends life of washing machines, hot water heaters, and other water-using household appliances
  • Quick and easy to install
  • Durable opaque housing
  • 3/4-inch inlet/outlet for installation on main cold water line
  • 5-year limited warranty

In response to the 2 main problems other reviewers report with this product, my experience is that they can be resolved with minimal effort.

3/4 inch threads not sealing. I had no problem with this. I used thread tape, wrapped around the male fittings 4-5 complete turns, CLOCKWISE (important). I then threaded my fittings into the housing until they seated against the housing (my fittings have a collar), tight but not ridiculously tight. No leaks under normal household water pressure.

10 inch filters not fitting into housing. I purchased Culligan 20 micron filters and Purenex 5 micron filters. Purchased the Purenex because Amazon was out of the Culligan 5 micron. The Culligan filters are 9 5/8 inch long and have hard plastic caps on each end. The Purenex are 10 inch long and do not have any caps at the ends, they are all "filter". Needing to use the 5 micron, I inserted the 10 inch Purenex into the housing and screwed the base into the top and yesthe filter seems to be too long for the housing. I continued to screw the housing together, a little forceful, until the 2 pieces seated together. I encountered no leaks here either. I then checked the filter to see if it was crushed or distorted and it was not. Thus I think one can use 10 inch filters, they just need to be screwed on more tightly and the filter will conform. Also, as another posted; you could easily cut the filter shorter.

Very happy with the housing, made well, does exactly what I need; which is to pre-filter for a smaller micron filter in our roof-fed cistern water system.

Buy Culligan HF-150A 3/4-Inch Whole House Sediment Water Filter Now

There''s one flaw that makes the Culligan HF-150A unusable, at least for me: The NPT threads for the inlet and outlet are cut incorrectly and do not work well with standard fittings.

As everyone knows, NPT threads are cut on a taper, so that the pieces snug into each other as you tighten. Both threads on this filter are cut too large. When you try to screw in standard NPT compression fittings, the fittings bottom out before becoming acceptably snug. (I wasn''t even using a wrench; I was tightening them by hand!)

I discovered this while I was dry fitting everything, and without thread tape. However, several professional plumbers at the local plumbers'' supply house agreed that all was not right with this unit. They tell me that one would expect that the fittings should get snug well before bottoming out, even without thread tape.

One plumber at the supply house suggested I kludge it with LOTS of thread tape, and maybe a water hose gasket; others suggested trashing this unit and getting a "good" one. Not wanting to kludge or experiment, I went with the latter suggestion ditched this filter.

Note: The instructions talk about using a "BF-34" fitting kit to install this. Perhaps the only fittings that work with this are the BF-34 fittings. I don''t know. As I said above, I gave up on this filter.

Whatever filter you end up using, I suggest putting a cut-off valve on *BOTH* sides of it; that will make filter changes much easier. Being able to isolate the filter on both sides, you won''t have to turn off the water supply on the inlet, and won''t have the rest of the plumbing draining on your face through the outlet.

Caveat emptor.

Read Best Reviews of Culligan HF-150A 3/4-Inch Whole House Sediment Water Filter Here

I am using this filter for all of the water coming into our trailer at a seasonal campground, in a "whole house" type configuration. Not sure exactly what was in the water, but it had a distinct taste and smell, and when boiling water for pasta, it would turn orange. After running water through it for only a minute, I removed it and looked at the filter and it had captured a surprising amount of "orange stuff". The filter does not seem to slow our water pressure at all.

The only issue I have with this filter, which I saw mentioned by other reviewers, is that when screwing in a standard 3/4" plumbing fitting into the filter, you need to use A LOT of teflon tape so that it does not leak. I had to put on teflon tape, put together, test, see leak, and repeat a number of times.

Want Culligan HF-150A 3/4-Inch Whole House Sediment Water Filter Discount?

First of all, it''s much cheaper to buy these on Amazon than at your local hardware store. You can also get a good deal on the filters themselves by signing up for automatic shipment on the schedule you desire. That not only saves you on the filters, but also serves as a reminder that it''s time to change them out when the new ones arrive! There is another model that has a clear plastic body but it costs more for some reason. I had those and they froze and broke last winter so I thought these solid ones looked to be a bit stronger. If you are on a well, you should buy two of these and hook them up in series with a primary sediment filter in the first unit and a micron filter for the 2nd.

I got these two units installed and instantly had the clearest water coming from the tap. They cost more and have to be changed every two months, but the micron filter makes a huge difference over using cheaper ones that don''t have the higher filtering capability. I''ve got a lot of sediment and was using a Brita filter, but the water is now so bright and clear (and tasty) that I just use water straight from the faucet now. It''s the best water I''ve ever tasted actually!

Do not overtighten when you install the filters. If you have water leaking, check to make sure you didn''t drop the "O ring" when you removed the used filter. They also recommend putting some vaseline on the seal. Installed properly, you don''t have to use more than finger pressure with a slight snugging with the plastic wrench for a perfect seal. If you are still leaking stop and disassemble. Don''t force it too tight or it''s hard to get it off the next time you have to change filters.

If your filter box is outside make sure you have it adequately insulated if you are subject to hard freezes in your area. I have my box insulated with a 100 watt lightbulb on the inside which I plug in when temps drop into the low teens. I don''t recommend wrapping the pipes and the filters with insulation and heat tapes. That''s what failed disastrously last winter. First the heat tape failed and you couldn''t visually see that under the wrappings and secondly a couple of wraps of a heat tape around the filter wasn''t adequate. It was also a terrible mess to tear it all apart to change the filter cartridges! Better to insulate the whole box and put a visible heat source inside.

Save 23% Off

All we needed were basic cartridge casings to contain water filters for a two step filtering system outside of the RV without spending a fortune. Culligan had just what we were looking for. We''ll catch the sediment, etc. on the first filter then remove bad taste, etc. with the second filter before it enters our RV water system. You just need a 3/4 diameter 2" brass nipple to connect the two cartridges together (easily available at your local hardware store). Easy to use & worth the modest cost to help ensure better quality water coming into your home (or RV, in our case).

0 comments:

Post a Comment