Amana 25-Cubic-Foot Side-by-Side Refrigerator

Amana 25-Cubic-Foot Side-by-Side Refrigerator, ASD2522WRW, White
  • 25.1 Cu. Ft. Total Capacity
  • ENERGY STAR Qualified
  • PUR Water and Ice Filter
  • Temp Assure Freshness Controls
  • Control Lockout

This is a nice looking, fairly standard design side by side refrigerator.

What I like

*It cools down fast. The most remarkable thing about it, to me, was how fast it cooled down. I didn''t have to wait nearly as long to get my food in safely as I did with my GE model, which was 3 years old and very much comparable in look.

*It''s quiet. It runs quietly. All I''ve heard is the ice dumping every now and then. If you dispense ice, it''s loud, but not as loud as my GE was, and it works a lot better. Ice comes out really quickly and is a good shape.

*The shelves are VERY easy to adjust. This rocks. I really liked that I could make myself a small shelf JUST for keeping my vat of bread dough on. There''s also enough shelves that slide in and out, like trays might in a tray cart. This will make it MUCH easier to clean than my old fridge, which had tricky shelves that attacked with a clip at the very back. This is a much more user friendly design will come in GREAT at holidays when I make HUGE trifles in my dish that''s taller than a milk jug.

*Standard size removable door containers. Again, the shelves on the doors are EASY to adjust height, and easy to take off and clean. They fit in like most do these days, and I was able to even use one off my old fridge to add another shelf. Most people wouldn''t need it, it comes with plenty, but I keep a whole assortment of little bottles of hot sauce. Now they have their own shelf. 2 liter bottles and milk fit in the door panels.

*Meat and veggie drawers don''t have extra parts. They are solid, single design. My last fridge had really cool looking handles, which came off promptly in a few months and would never go back on right. This design is easier for cleaning, and there''s no parts to break.

*Ice maker/water easy to install My last fridge had this one that said "DO NOT CRIMP or it may never work right." Well, it got crimped. It never worked right. This one is MUCH easier with no land mines to be found.

What could be a tad better:

*Expensive water filterI thought when it said it used a PUR filter that it used one like I use on my tap. My bad this is one that cost about $38 and supposedly you have to change it twice a year. You can buy them on Amazon in a 2 pack to cut that down to about $58/year but that still seems high to me.

One person I know with a fridge that uses a filter like this says that the expense was so much, he quit using his icemaker because it was cheaper just to buy ice. Hopefully that price will come down in time.

*The ice maker takes up a LOT of space in the freezer. Twice as much as my older GE. But it works a lot better. It''s a tradeoff I can live with.

*The plastic in the door holder/shelves could be a bit heavier. I noticed when I put my old one in that it was much sturdier and felt like it was thicker plastic. You might not notice it, but when you compare it to the GE plastic on the interior components, it''s ok, but it''s not as good.

*I don''t understand the ''lock out'' feature on the door. It keeps you from using the dispenser but it is just two side by side buttons. I think a baby could figure it out, in fact, I''m pretty sure my dog could. It just seems like something extra that I won''t use and that could break.

*The plug that it comes with is SO short, I had to pay extra to get another one. It might not be an issue unless you''ve got an older house. Most plug ins are directly where they should be. In my old house, the kitchen has been modified a bit, so it''s an issue for me. Also, the water hookup kit was for newer hookups, and I had to buy one to fit my older one. It was an extra 28.00 for the cord and the water hookup for me because of my old house. Newer homes shouldn''t have issues like that though. I just thought I''d mention it.

Buy Amana 25-Cubic-Foot Side-by-Side Refrigerator Now

After only 8 months the door shelve parts are failing. I''ll have to order some of the strap/brackets that hold the jars on the door of the fridge in order to get useful service out of this unit for years to come. Not nice. Cheap design. No rough handling either. Just poor quality.

Read Best Reviews of Amana 25-Cubic-Foot Side-by-Side Refrigerator Here

I''ve owned this fridge less than a month, but I love it. This is my first side by side, love the extra room. Ice maker is a bit noisey, I''m sure they all are. Spillsaver glass shelves are a plus. Pur filtered ice and water is also a plus, as my old refrigerator had no water dispenser, and the ice was unfiltered. One thing I might add, the water from the dispenser is not chilled. I''m looking forward to many years of service from this fridge. One other note, Whirlpool and Maytag as well as Magic Chef are divisions of ... that''s right, you guessed it, AMANA.

Want Amana 25-Cubic-Foot Side-by-Side Refrigerator Discount?

We''ve had to repair this unit twice since purchasing. The ice maker broke within a year of purchasing and cost us more than $200 to repair. Few years later the motherboard died causing the refrigerator side to not get cold this repair cost us more than $300. Apparently you can''t count on Amana to make a reliable product. We won''t be purchasing anything from them ever again.

One-Sentence Review:

The Amana ASD2522WRW is a very traditional side-by-side refrigerator that should find a happy place in most homes.

Full Review:

I have more experience with side-by-side refrigerators than any other configuration. While they lack horizontal storage space, most platters will fit in the refrigerator and most frozen foods are designed to fit in the relatively narrow freezer. If you have been shopping around at local stores for refrigerators and have not run into this model, it is likely that you have seen others with essentially the same configuration. The side-by-side is ideal for people who want both refrigerator and freezer space at eye level and would like a water/ice dispenser.

REFRIGERATOR COMPARTMENT

The refrigerator compartment is 17.5" wide. There are three movable glass shelves on top and two large clear plastic drawers at the bottom. There are no humidity sliders on those drawers. At the top, there are analog temperature controls for the refrigerator and freezer compartments. The digital controls of many refrigerators look nicer, but I know of no functional reason to prefer them over analog.

The door has four sturdy moveable shelves which are wide enough to store milk or sodas. Unlike the picture on this webpage, the doors that came with mine are white plastic, with no clear areas. There is a standard dairy compartment on top and the hinge on the clear plastic lid seems sturdy. Two lights cast even light throughout, which is a nice plus over the single light of many models.

FREEZER COMPARTMENT

The freezer seems small at first glance. It is 13" wide, which is good for most frozen convenience food, but will not work for freezing casserole dishes or that sort of home-cooked food wthout repackaging it. The ice maker also takes up significant eye-level space. Above it, the top shelf looks a bit dark because the single freezer light is located below. The ice maker does have a door to allow removing ice by hand. This is handy for a few reasons, one being that an ice maker dispenser is often the first thing to break.

There are four wire shelves that can be moved and a bottom tray that can slide out. This tray is really handy and makes the bottom space much more functional. The door has 4 small shelves, also made of white plastic, than can not be moved. Large items will not fit, but they are good for small bags of vegetables or frozen fruit juices.

ICE DISPENSER

Unlike some modern units, the ice and water dispenses out of separate holes. I prefer a single hole, with one flapper to push, but that is a matter of preference. The water is filtered, and when the filter needs replaced, it is an easy process (button pops out old one on bottom of refrigerator). The crushed ice has a great consistency, and is better than any other refrigerator I have used.

An important feature is the ability to bypass the water filter, namely for people who are happy with their tap water quality or can not afford a replacement. Without the bypass, the water pressure would drop as the filter aged. The J.B. Hunt installation (which costs extra) included a water filter and universal water attachment kit. They also installed a long electrical cord, whereas I had a surge protector on my old refrigerator to make the cord reach the outlet.

SOUND

The hum of the refrigerator is pretty standard, with a light dripping noise periodically. It is not loud or distracting. Like all refrigerators I have used, the ice dispenser is loud, particularly for crushed ice.

CLEANING

The shelves are tempered glass, so cleaning them is simple. I spilled some water onto a shelf and found that the "spill-proof" lip kept it from dripping and making a bigger mess. The exterior of the refrigerator cleans up easily with appliance cleaner like Affresh, and the wheels make it easy to roll the refrigerator to clean underneath. Another nice touch is how easy the handles are to remove and put back on.

My refrigerator came with stickers on every shelf that were difficult to remove. I found a serving spatula to be the best at scraping them off without scratching the glass.

CONCLUSIONS

I am very happy with the ASD2522WRW, but nothing about it strikes me as truly exceptional. Rather, it is a safe standard refrigerator, in both configuration and function. The refrigerator and freezer compartments allow for good use of space, with the majority of that space in the refrigerator compartment. While I may not be surprised, I am content.

0 comments:

Post a Comment